Astro Pixel Processor

Ha, OIII, SII stacking, how to?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Musquetier
    Participant

I have loaded all the Ha, OIII and SII lights together with the 3 Ha, OIII and SII master flats, a master dark and a master bias. Then calibrated, analysed stars, registered all frames, normalized them and then pressed stack but then I end up with a single gray image. Should I process each color separately instead?

Groenewold

I think, as I also struggled a little bit with H-alpha, you better process these seperately and choose the mode in tab 0. Standard it says “Airy Disk” there, but there’s options for HAlpha etc.

Musquetier
    Participant

When I progress them separately how do I make sure they are aligned correctly (during the registration phase)?

Haverkamp
    Participant

I think Rob is working with mono channel data, then the Halpha debayer mode is useless @supernov.

Yes, process the channels seperately Rob. Registration can be simply done when you have the stacks ready. Just load the stacks and register them and save registered frames.

Or another way.

Calirbate all you lights first and save your calirbated lights. Then load all lights of all channels and register them. And save registered frames.

Then you can stack all channels separately using registration mode: no registration

There are several ways to do this.

In the future, we can try to make a batch mode tool for this, I believe Yves mentioned this to me already 😉

Van den Broek
    Participant

Why would one need to select mode: no registration when you only stack, I even don’t see it in the stack tab, probably a blind spot.

Haverkamp
    Participant

Hi Yves, the no registration mode is to be set in

4) Register, registration mode: no registration.

APP is unlike PI, it is setup to do all steps

2) to 6) all in one go. So Registration is always a logical part of a stack process. If you have registered the data already, you want to use no registration mode.

My logic: if you don’t implement it like this, you’ll need to save your frames always after registration. Before starting a stack proces. I actually never save registrered frames as part of a normal stack routine.

Musquetier
    Participant

Ok, I have now a R, G, B, Ha, OIII and SII stack, all registered to one master, but they do differ in size because they are all taken on different days (in 2016 and 2017) and with two different camera’s which were mounted using a different rotation.

What is the procedure in APP to make them all similar without loosing the alignment, (so without shifting them on the X and Y axles).

Can this also be done in APP as well so I have done the complete processing using only this application?

Once this is done I can do the Combine RGB option in the 9) TOOLS tab to transfer to color and do the final tweaks…

Haverkamp
    Participant

Hi Rob, best way would be to load all of your stacks and register them again. I see I forget a dropdown down box at save registered frames, I will fix this now.

When you have registered them,

go to 6) integration, set composition to full  and click on apply mode.

If you then click on save registered frames, wou won’t lose data and all frames will have the same image dimensions.

I need to create the dropdownbox for composition at save registered frames.. Will do it now.. ?

Let me know it it works ?

And if it works, then proceed to combine RGB indeed ? and possibly selective color afterwards for finetuning of the colors.

The combine RGB will adjust for illumination differences to start with ? so the background of your different channels will almost be perfect to start with.

Musquetier
    Participant

Haverkamp
    Participant

Ik zal even testen wat er gebeurd, dank je Rob

Haverkamp
    Participant

Hoi Rob, de Ha data heeft geen data, dat is het probleem. Bekijk hem maar met bijvoorbeeld Fits Liberator of PI. Ik zie dat je combined als prefix ervoor hebt gezet

combined_Barnard33_Ha.fits

Heb je toevallig de stack nog liggen, ik denk dat er na het stacken iets is misgegaan. De andere opnames hebben wel sterren, zie screenshot.

Haverkamp
    Participant

Het is denk ik handig om te weten wat je met de OIII en HA stacks hebt gedaan om naar de combined versie te komen?

Het lijkt alsof die ook door een ander programma een bewerking hebben gekregen. Ik zie namelijk ook de de OIII moeilijk te registreren is, wat er op wijst dat een ander programma iets van een registratie heeft gedaan met mogelijk een slecht effect ?

Musquetier
    Participant

The combined file should have been a stack of the following files (2016 (PI) and 2017 (APP) data):

https://www.musquetier.nl/images/Barnard33_light-FILTER_Ha-BINNING_1-reg.fits
    https://www.musquetier.nl/images/stack_Ha.fits

I’m not sure why it turned out to be black.

Haverkamp
    Participant

I’ll have a look 😉

Haverkamp
    Participant

I can integrate these two images fine:

What I did:

Since there aren’t too many stars ( 100-200) I lowered kappa in the star analysis to 4

3) analyse stars ,

detect above noise

kappa 4

4) registration

since this is data from Pi and data from APP, clearly different sources, you need to

deselect same camera and optics ( a registration tool from a program is in technically speaking also a camera, it warps your data )

and

enable distortion correction

Then

5) normalize, I set normalization mode to advanced ! This will have the effect that the normalization parameters are only calculated on the area of the stacks that overlap. This will give better data normalization in this case ( this is one of the innovative feautures in APP).

6) Integrate

– composition mode FULL, we wwant to keep all data of both stacks in the final stack

– LNC set to 2nd degree, 3 iterations

– enabled MBB 10%

-Lanczos3 with no under/overshoot

and then stacked

The result is shown in the screenshot, notice that the seams of the stacks are hardly visible now..

So you can also do this with the OIII combine you did ?

Let me know if you can duplicate this result on the H alpha combination of the 2 stacks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You need to log in or to reply to this topic.