Astro Pixel Processor

Info Panel HDD space value not correct

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Theunissen
    Keymaster

I noticed that in the Info panel, the HDD space value is not correct.

In the pre-beta the HDD value was correct. It could be a coincidence, but it seems like the total workspace mem (8Gb) is subtracted from the real HDD space available on my system.

version: Mac OS 8Gb

Haverkamp
    Participant

Hi Marc,

The Info Panel, shows HDD space. This is the free HDD/SSD space off the drive on which you chose your working directory.

When APP is started, this shows the free space of the drive on which APP is installed. If you select a working directory on another drive, it will show you the free space off that drive. You should be able to work on a fast external drive or network share without problems.

The mem info is about your your free/available RAM. The OS is free/available RAM to the Operating System. Which is usefull to see if your OS can still do it’s tasks…

So HDD freespace is totally not connected to the memory information.

Possibly the numbers are different in APP when compared to the number the MacOS system gives you.

APP calculates everyhing as in 1MB = 1024×1024 bytes.

Let me know if this makes sense 😉

Theunissen
    Keymaster

It does make sense, however, the HDD space was correct in the earliest beta. This brings me to another question, maybe even related, where is the swap or temp file located on the system?

Thanks for your quick reply!

Haverkamp
    Participant

Hi Marc,

I really haven’t changed a thing on the working of the INFO panel for HDD in the past few days.

I’ll check on my macbook what APP reports and what MacOS reports.

“where is the swap or temp file located on the system”

DO you refer to OS swap? Or an APP temporary file?

APP stores temporary files in your working directory.

Theunissen
    Keymaster

Hi Mabula,

Or an APP temporary file?

I mean the APP temp or working files directory, are those files hidden in the APP working directory?

Haverkamp
    Participant

I chose to store temporary files during progress in your APP working. APP will also output all results in the APP working directory.

Theunissen
    Keymaster

APP still shows the wrong amount of free space, I have actually 16GB more space free then projected by APP.

Haverkamp
    Participant

Hi Marc,

Can you show me a screenshot of the amount that APP reports, and the the number of Bytes, KiloBytes, MBs or GBs your OS reports?

I have just checked on my Windows desktop and my Macbook 2016, within rounding and taking into account that

1GB = 1024MB = 1024x1024kB = 1024x1024x1024Bytes.

the number reported by APP is accurate on my systems.

Haverkamp
    Participant

Screenshot from my macbook 2016 using df -g from the commandline to get free space in GBs just like APP reports.

Can you send me a similar screenshot if it’s not correct on your system?

Theunissen
    Keymaster

Almost forgot ? … DF shows the same value. The Freespace indicator beneath the HD Icon (on the desktop) does not (this is the value I normally monitor). Clearly an anomaly in Mac OS.

Haverkamp
    Participant

Okay, what could be the reason for MacOS to report this like this instead of df -g? Space without some sort of claimed space by a swap partition?

APP shows the space currently available, MacOS clearly not then probably because the OS can free some extra room if needed…

Theunissen
    Keymaster

of claimed space by a swap partition?

I had the same thought, I will look into this.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You need to log in or to reply to this topic.